What is the Leaders-in-Training Program?
- Who: Future leaders in grades 7-9
- What: An exciting opportunity for middle schoolers to participate in Camp Invention®! By leading campers in grades K-6 through high-energy STEM experiences at a local camp, these role models encourage creativity and hands-on fun while building their own leadership and goal-setting abilities.
- Where: Leaders-in-Training programs run at nearly 800 Camp Invention locations nationwide, in schools, community centers and other local facilities!
- When: Our program dates and hours vary by location
- Cost: Pricing for this weeklong program starts at $160 and includes leadership training and opportunities to guide young campers through hands-on STEM challenges, as well as activities to complete at home. See your local Camp Invention for exact pricing.
Leaders-in-Training are at the center of fun challenges and creative STEM learning at Camp Invention. When you register your middle schooler for the Leaders-in-Training program, you’ll give them the opportunity to take on the role of a Camp Invention counselor. While campers dive into challenges created by education experts and National Inventors Hall of Fame® Inductees, Leaders-in-Training provide guidance and encouragement, inspiring children to do their very best. Here’s what your Leader-in-Training can expect as a Camp Invention counselor during this one-of-a-kind experience:
Leaders-in-Training are role models! Campers look up to them and might even be inspired to take on the same role someday.
Partnerships with Program Team Members and valuable tips from National Inventors Hall of Fame Inductees help Leaders-in-Training to learn and grow.
Support and Guidance
The Camp Director and other Program Team Members will make sure Leaders-in-Training have everything they need during their time at camp.
Lots of Fun
The time Leaders-in-Training spend at camp will not only help them build skills — it will be exciting and creative as they inspire campers’ imaginations.
See a typical day as a Leader-in-Training
As campers check in, Leaders-in-Training step into a leadership role by helping the Camp Director kick off a day of STEM fun and learning.
Leaders-in-Training and Leadership Interns team up at Base Camp, where they practice goal-setting skills and help campers get ready to take on the day’s hands-on challenges.
Leaders-in-Training help guide children through two creative challenges, providing essential mentorship, inspiration and encouragement as campers explore, experiment and overcome challenges, and then they enjoy a healthy snack.
After refueling with a healthy lunch*, Leaders-in-Training use their organization skills to help Camp Instructors prepare for an action-packed afternoon while campers enjoy some playtime.
*Lunch is not provided.
The afternoon brings two more themed challenges, giving Leaders-in-Training more opportunities to build their confidence as they serve as role models and support campers’ efforts to design, build and test their biggest ideas.
Before the day ends, Leaders-in-Training collaborate with Leadership Interns at Base Camp, where they help campers boost their creative problem-solving skills and stay motivated to keep inventing.
As parents sign out their happy campers, Leaders-in-Training help the Director wrap up the day, and then they reflect on their personal and team goals and successes.