Camp Invention® is right around the corner, and we can’t wait for this summer’s all-new, hands-on activities to give your child the freedom to explore and create!
Wondering how to make sure your young innovator has the best possible in-person or at-home Camp Invention experience? We’ve got a few simple tips that can help.
Getting Ready for Camp Invention In Person
How to Prepare
- Each day, your child will need to bring a packed lunch, a drink or water bottle, and a snack. Be sure to write your child’s name on their food and drinks to avoid mix-ups.
- Make sure your child has a face mask to wear each day, in order to follow local safety guidelines.
- If your child needs to take medication while at camp, please bring it in its original container with a signed physician’s note (if prescription) and instructions noting who is approved to administer it.
- Sometimes children are nervous on their first day of camp, and that’s OK! Ask them if they know of any friends who might be interested in attending the program with them. Additionally, we invite you to play a few of our videos to show them what they can look forward to.
What to Expect
- Some activities may be held outdoors. Help your child dress appropriately for the weather and encourage them to wear shoes they can run around in (no flip-flops please).
- We always prioritize health and safety at Camp Invention. If your child is sick, please keep them home and notify your Camp Director.
- We follow CDC recommendations for face masks, physical distancing, sanitization and hand washing. However, each individual district has the right to adjust these guidelines to comply with their state, local or district mandates, which are subject to change.
- You will receive a communication from your Camp Director prior to your start date with any additional information pertaining to your local program.
Getting Ready for Camp Invention At Home
How to Prepare
- You will receive an important email shortly before your program start date where you’ll find the schedule and session links specific to your child’s camp.
- Keep a lookout for an email from UPS to track your child's Innovator’s Toolkit, which will be delivered a few days before the program starts. When it arrives, your child will be excited to unbox it! Just be sure the items stay organized in the color-coded bags so everything is on hand for camp.
- Messes are part of the inventing fun, so designate an area for your child to set up their very own makerspace to explore, create and experiment by using the provided Maker Mat, Pegboard and Toolbelt! (Tip: Knot the toolbelt if it’s too big.)
- It’s normal if your child is nervous about their first day at camp. To ease their worries, we recommend playing a few of our videos to show them what they can look forward to.
What to Expect
- Our camp is flexible, so your child can camp in the way that works best for them. They can join all, some or none of the online sessions, and they can change their approach from one day to the next.
- Gears and motors will be at play, so long hair should be pulled back and younger siblings kept at bay!
- Activities will be collaborative and progressive. You can use “I wonder…” statements when discussing the day to help your child build confidence, stretch their imagination and develop creative solutions.
- We’ll encourage campers to get active, move around and go outside when the weather allows, so they can discover new possibilities with their inventions.
Check out this video to learn more!
We’re Just as Excited as You Are
In addition to the above tips, we encourage you to bookmark our Parent Resource Center for easy access to everything Camp Invention! Here you’ll find our Safety Guidelines, additional FAQs and Daily Newsletters that cover what your child will be creating each day.
If you have any additional questions, just give us a call at 800-968-4332.