This hands-on STEM activity is a great way for children to practice their design thinking and creative problem-solving skills!
- Duck Tape® brand duct tape
- Marker or pen
- Trace a pair of flip-flops on to cardboard and cut them out.
- Cover the top in Duck Tape, leaving extra tape around the edges.
- Flip over the flip flop so the adhesive is showing from the extra tape. Cut small slits in the excess tape all the way around the flip-flop.
- Fold over the excess tape on the bottom of the cardboard. Cover the bottom completely.
- Make a double-sided strip of tape that is about 20 inches long. Fold your strip in half.
- Cut a slit in the middle of the cardboard where your big toe and second toe should be. Place the folded part of your strip in the slit.
- Flip your flip-flops over and place a strip of tape on top of the folded strip sticking through.
- Place your foot as a reference on the flip-flops and form your straps comfortably around your foot. Remove your foot and turn your flip-flops over. Use a strip of tape to secure your strap on the bottom of your flip-flop.
Now that your new Duck Tape shoe is complete, think about how you can innovate! What can you add to your shoe that has never been seen before? Could you add a secret storage area built into your shoe? What would happen if you gave your shoe wings?
Educators: Use this activity in the classroom with these modifications
Think about other types of everyday objects students could make out of Duck Tape. Start by conducting a group brainstorm with your students. Ask them to look around the classroom and identify things that could be recreated using Duck Tape. Write all the items your class comes up with on the board. Next, split students into groups and have them work together to build some of the larger items they came up with!
Duck Tape is committed to innovation
This summer we are excited to announce that in keeping with the company’s commitment to inspiring young minds to explore and create, the company has generously donated Duck Tape products to Camp Invention® program sites all across the country. Thanks to their generosity, throughout all of Camp Invention’s activities, our kindergarten through sixth-grade campers will have the opportunity to use Duck Tape to bring their ideas to life. To learn more about this partnership, we encourage you to check out this blog.